The Parlor Floor, 1028 building
Despite low enrollment after the Great Depression, Marymount expanded both its academic program and its physical plant. Mother Butler purchased the Pratt Mansion (1027) in 1936 and established a Junior College.
Mother Butler’s death in 1940 and the impact of WWII took its toll on morale. The RSHM school network expanded in 1946 with the founding of Marymount Rome, and the Junior College spun off into Marymount Manhattan College in 1948.
Marymount expanded into the Dunlevy Millbank mansion (1026) in 1950 but was plagued by construction setbacks. The math/science program flourished and many extracurricular clubs and social events were established.
Students studying in the library in the 1028 building, 1960. The library was moved and dedicated in 1958 in the memory of Mrs. John A. Mullen.
Lower School classroom, 1975
Marymount opened its science labs in 1994 and formalized its technology plan for the School. The athletics program flourished in the 1990s and Marymount established diversity initiatives to foster cultural awareness.
Lower School library, 2001
Marymount added 42,000 square feet in 2010 by leasing 116 East 97th Street for athletics, art, and science facilities. The School acquired a vacant lot on the same block in 2012 for the “School of the Future.”